Who is required to register VAT?
- import goods to Slovakia,
- buy and sell goods from Slovakia to other EU Member States (intra-Community supplies),
- buy and sell goods in Slovakia,
- sell goods online directly to Slovak consumers (registration is required for turnovers over EUR 35,000.00 per year),
- store goods in Slovakia for further resale,
- organize live events in Slovakia, shows, conferences, etc.
In order to register for VAT purposes, the Slovak tax office requires completing and filing appropriate forms along with:
- confirmation of registration for VAT in the country of origin,
- the company’s articles of association or articles of partnership,
- a relevant copy from the national commercial register,
- copy of the passport of the company’s representative.
Non-resident enterprises are obliged to provide the above documentation to the Slovak tax authorities in Bratislava before the start of vatable operations in Slovakia.
The standard reporting period in Slovakia is monthly. However, companies beginning their business activities in Slovakia are required to submit declarations on a monthly basis for the period of at least one year. Entities whose VAT obligations do not exceed the annual sales value threshold of EUR 100,000 may apply for a quarterly reporting period. VAT declarations are to be filed by the 25th day of the month following the closing of the reporting period.
Failure to register may result in a penalty (depending on the circumstances) of between EUR 60,000 and EUR 20,000.00. In the case of incorrect declarations or delays in their delivery, foreign companies may be subject to penalties from EUR 30 to EUR 16.000,00. Interest on late payments is also charged. Obligations towards the Slovak tax office expire after 5 years.
In the case of VAT settlements, you cannot deduct input tax for the purchase of restaurant and catering services, employee benefits (sport and recreation).
A foreign company operating in Slovakia must also comply with local rules regarding, among others: invoicing and archiving of accounts and registers for a period of 10 years.
The following VAT rates are currently used in Slovakia:
- 20% – basic rate,
- 10% – reduced rate,
- 0% – intra-Community and international passenger transport.
Services we provide in this country:
- VAT Registration
- VAT Settlements
- VAT Consulting